Speed Songwriting: How to Write Songs Faster – Just like creating any other form of artwork, writing a good song takes time; however, there are ways to speed up the writing process without sacrificing quality. Learning how to write songs fast comes with experience and a lot of practice. Here are some tips from SpamalotLondon :
- Do some free writing exercises – One of the things that slow a songwriter down is running out of things to say. This issue comes up more often than people think. One way writers in general get out of this slump is to do a free writing exercise. This would entail writing about anything and everything they could think of within a prescribed period of time. These could be words, phrases, or a whole bunch of nonsense. The idea is to relax the mind and let the ideas flow freely.
- Take time to list down song ideas – Another thing that stumps song writers is when they don’t know what to write about. A lot of time is wasted coming up with a theme or idea for a song. The best way to handle this problem is to make a list of song ideas ahead of time. That way, when it’s time to actually write the song, it would be easier to build the song outline and structure.
- Don’t be a perfectionist – Many songwriters are held back by their need to make everything perfect right away. They get stuck on finding the right word to use or making sure that the verses are grammatically correct. Fortunately, that’s what editing is for. Just like with the free writing exercises, a song writer should not focus on making things right the first time. Just get the song done and then go back and make the necessary changes.
- Join song writing groups – Writing a song on a tight deadline can be a challenge, but it is a skill that can be honed. One way to do that is to join groups that encourage song writers to write as many songs as they can. There is the community that holds the FAWM (February is Song Writing Month) challenge which encourages their members to write 2 songs a day in February. Other groups such as the Immersion Composition Society are a little more hardcore as they challenge their members to write 20 songs all in one day.
See Also :
- Simplifying Songwriting: How to Write Songs More Efficiently
- Songwriting 101: How to Become a Song Writer